Thursday, April 15, 2010

I Miss Having Clear Vision!


Just when I thought deciding or not to go for LASIK is a tough one, I realise deciding on whether enhancement is the right thing to do is even more torturing.

Statistics show that only 1% to 3% of LASIK patients need enhancements due to under or over correction and I am among these unlucky minority.

It has been 2.5 months and my vision is still far from perfect and anything more than an arm's length away is just blur. I even had a pair of specs made for driving at night. Without which, I would probably not be able to make my way home at night.

During the last post LASIK checkup, I had residual degree of 75 on one side and 50 on the other and was told that I am a potential candidate for enhancement since my cornea is thick enough for that. The doctor seemed to suggest that I should seek comfort in that (BUT that is not what I signed up for!!!).

Rightfully, many folks with 75 degree (or even up to 100 plus) just live with that and don't bother with specs. So I had a strong feeling that mine is definitely more than that and went for a second checkup elsewhere. Unexpectedly, the results turned out the same. However I am still not convinced and I am considering a third opinion.

Not that I regret going for LASIK in the first place... I miss having clear vision BUT I no doubt do not miss hard lens at all :)

Now I am just torn between leaving my poor eyes as they are and hope for a miracle versus going for an enhancement which probably means thinning my cornea further leaving no more room for future enhancement should my eyesight deteriorate years down the road. Not to mention that my confidence of the doctor or rather such LASIK procedures is now shaken...

No comments:

Post a Comment