Sunday, December 21, 2008

All About Bunnies

I chanced upon this non-profit organization about rabbits while passing through a flea market the other day.

Being a "fellow rabbit" myself, I did my part by purchasing some merchandise for which proceeds go to the society fund.

Along with that, I came across a few interesting facts which I never knew about rabbits:

- There are over 1,000 rabbits abandoned in Singapore every year- Never hold rabbit by their ears (those darn magicians)
- Rabbits can live up to 12 years.- Rabbits reach sexual maturity btw 3 to 6 months of age (not much of a childhood)
- Rabbits have induced ovulation. That means the female only produces an egg when being mounted by a male! (absolute nightmare when it comes to family planning). This is also the very reason why rabbits should be sterilized and not allowed to breed
- Female rabbits are known as "Does" and male rabbits are known as "Bucks" (that's probably how the most famous rabbit we know got its name!)

For fellow species and rabbits-lovers, you may want to drop in at House Rabbits Society to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment